Monday, January 28, 2008

Apples, trees, falling.

These were my dad's reactions, in order, when I told him I had quit my job and was going to trucking school. (Mind you, he knew about the idea and mildly supported it before.)

1. "Well, it sounds like you're in a place of stagnation at the paper, so I support the fact that you're getting out and learning new things. Remaining in motion is the most important thing. Moving and learning are what life is all about. I'm not sure if this is the right direction for you, but I am glad you will be in motion again."

2. "I keep seeing those huge trucks all over New York and they amaze me, especially in Manhattan, where the drivers somehow manage to maneuver them perfectly into tiny alleys. Such level of skill looks almost like circus tricks. If you and your truck ever make it to New York, will you teach me how to do that?"

3. "You know, in all the old books the adventurous young people who want to escape their lives go work on ships and sail the high seas. I suppose this is the modern equivalent, and I support the motivation behind it."

Have I mentioned lately how much my dad rocks?

No comments: