Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stranded again

SPRINGFIELD, OH - Looks like I'll be in Ohio for the next few days. Bah. My trainer went on home time, and dropped me off here.

Here's what supposed to happen when a trainer goes on home time: s/he contacts the company, the company gets the student a hotel room as close as possible to the trainer's house, the trainer drops the student off and then picks her back up when the home time is done.

Knowing my trainer was going on home time, I assumed I'd be spending a few days in northern Michigan. Instead, he told me he never takes students home, and instead dropped me off at our Ohio terminal on his way home. Which means I get to sit here in the middle of Ohio, waiting for another trainer.

If the wait is as long as it was in Fontana, I'll be here for a while. Oy. I'm not a happy girl right now. But at least I get a real bed to sleep in, and an Internet connection, and a roommate who seems pretty cool. So it could be worse?

I wish he'd dropped me off a terminal that's near people I know. SoCal would have been fine, or Atlanta, or Portland. Instead I'm in Ohio. Anyone reading this live in Ohio? Want to come entertain me?

Oh, and my birthday is in four days. Chances are, I'll be spending it in a hotel room. Bah.

5 comments:

1L* said...

what kind of fancy hotel room do they put you up in? :) and where abouts in ohio are you?

at least you get to rest up, and ward off any colds/sickness...

Gypsy said...

Heh, it's a very run down Holiday Inn within earshot of I-70 in Springfield. And yeah, you're right about resting up... I'm looking forward to not waking up in a moving vehicle!

hopdup-old said...

Hey from someone you worked with in your "past life" in the town where they kinda taught to drive a truck. Been following this and your Twitter and the song "Lookin' at the World Through a Windshield" keeps running through my head. Loved your photos from the road. Hope your downtime is a nice break, but not too long.

Unknown said...

Gotta love not waking up in a moving vehicle--only one of several reasons why I don't drive team. I hope you get a better trainer, the one you have/had is way too impatient on the shifting.

I was going to suggest going to a Meijer store for a chocolate croissant but the store locator is only showing one in Springfield and it's not right off of I70.

gabrielle

Terry said...

Hey Gypsy!!! Happy Birthday Girl.... Mine is the 19th!! I cannot believe the policy they have on leaving trainees um, er stranded while the trainer is taking home time...and you mentioned before about missing the luxury of regular showers..... eeek. What kind of freak is training you?? I hope the next trainer is bit more trainee- friendly....